Sunday, May 15, 2011

Getting Older

I thought about naming this blog "Growing Up" but that didn't seem fitting since Morgan isn't doing much growing.

This past Friday, the 13th, Morgan turned 5 months old. At her 4-month check-up the doctor wanted us to bring her back to be reweighed in 1 month because she was so light - in the 3rd percentile. So we did just that and it wasn't exactly the greatest news. It felt like my heart stopped when I saw the numbers on the scale - 10 lbs 5.5 oz - 5 months and about 26 inches long and WAY too small. We took her to the hospital for some bloodwork to be sure there is no other problem other than I'm just not producing enough milk. She did so great. They pricked her little vein and she only cried for a moment while laying there very content. My baby is so brave. This morning the doctor called me with the results - everything normal except her WBC count was 1/4 what it should be (normal is 2,000 and hers was 500) so we have to keep an eye on her because if she gets a fever at all she has to be brought into the hospital asap for observation. Also, her liver function is high which is most likely a result of starvation (a horrible word for a mother to hear about her child!!) So the plan: more bloodwork has to be done next Friday to be sure there is improvement, we have to supplement after each feeding, and she started solids today.

Other than that she is doing GREAT! She finally has a sleeping routine down - morning and afternoon naps, in bed between 6:00-7:00 each night, and falls asleep all on her own in her nice new crib. She also does this fun gymnastic, back-bend trick ALL the time. The doctor saw her doing it and just laughed. He said he has never seen a baby do that before. Our baby is just so talented! She scoots like crazy and goes all over our new massive living room.


Look what I can do!

First day of solids - yum!

3 comments:

  1. Trust your mother instinct Carrie. You have done every good thing for your baby and are a beautiful mommy for it. All moms go through something like this sooner or later...I could tell you stories! The good news is that little people are incredibly resilient and come through with flying colors and go on to become very BIG people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest little back-bender I ever saw. :) Thanks for chatting with us tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryland had the same weight problem cause I also was not making enough milk. So we had to stop nursing at 3 months old. I remember beating myself up. Just remember it's not your falt. Even though as a mother we normally blame ourselves for everything! By 5 months old ryland was a chunky monkey. She gain the weight give her a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete